Banana Foster Bread Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce
9 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 ½ Cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
3/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
6 Firm-Ripe Bananas (peeled and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch thick slices)
¼ cup Banana Liqueur
½ Cup Dark Rum
4 Large Eggs (lightly beaten)
3 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Whole Milk
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
6 Cups day-old French Bread (1/2-inch cubes)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take a 10 by 14-inch baking dish and butter it with 1 tablespoon of butter.
3. Set it aside.
4. Take the last 8 tablespoons of butter and melt them over medium in a large skillet.
5. For about 2 minutes dissolve 1 cup of the brown sugar and the cinnamon and cook stirring constantly.
6. Add the bananas and cook on both sides, turning, until the bananas start to soften and brown, about 3 minutes.
7. Stir in and blend the banana liqueur.
8. Shake the pan back and for the while carefully adding the rum and flaming the pan. Or while off the heat you can ignite the rum and return it to the stove.
9. Baste the bananas by shaking the pan back and forth until the flames subside.
10. Let them cool by removing them from the heat.
11. In a large bowl, Whisk together the eggs, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the cream, milk, and vanilla.
12. Add the bread and the bananas mix thoroughly.
13. Add to the baking dish and bake approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour.
14. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
15. Serve Immediately.
Back to the Pudding Recipes home page.